more from me
- I have a Tumblr.
- Ian Insect is Evil podcast, episode 24: “Bad Decisions” featuring Casey Hanner, Cumi Ikeda & Frank McDade.
“In the creakiest episode yet, a musician, a stand-up and a puppeteer walk in to a studio and discuss passion, money, hamburgers and validation. Just kidding, it’s a murder mystery! Can you figure out who the asshole is before we do?”
music I love
- Regina Spektor, classically trained Soviet-born American singer-songwriter, fun and quirky with lyrics that are sometimes deep, sometimes nonsensical. “Samson,” which re-imagines the biblical story of Samson and Delilah, is so beautiful, it hurts my heart every time I listen to it.
- Brandi Carlile, American alternative country and folk rock singer-songwriter whose songs speak to my soul. Her self-titled 2005 Brandi Carlile might be my favorite album. But that’s a hard call. And “Turpentine” is up there in my favorite songs.
- Sylvan Esso‘s “Hey Mami,” with a beautiful a cappella opening that gradually turns into heavy folk electronica without losing the beauty established in the beginning, blows me away.
- The Blow‘s “True Affection,” with its lightly accompanied female vocal paired with fantastical underwater lyrics, haunted me from the first time I heard it.